Air Filters: a critical part of your HVAC System
Dirty air filters can sabotage performance and raise your electric bills
It’s about the last thing on your mind, especially during the busy summer. And let’s face it, changing out the air filter is downright unpleasant. But swapping it out regularly is a must.
Many factors affect the frequency with which you should switch out your filters.
1. Filter quality. If your system takes high-performance filters, they can last up to 3 months. A 1- or 2-inch filter may need changing monthly.
2. Pets. When you have pets, it’s good practice to change your air filter with greater frequency. Dust levels can build up much more quickly due to pet dander and hair. If you have multiple pets, be sure and change your filters monthly.
3. Dust. If you have a particularly dusty household, bump up the filter-changing schedule.
4. HVAC Usage. The more you run your HVAC System, or even your ceiling fans, the more often you need to make a filter swap. If you can stand to let your home get a little warmer in summer and cooler in winter, you can change them less often.
5. Smoking. Not surprisingly, smoke can affect the longevity of your filters as much as dust. The more people in your home smoke, the sooner you need a new HVAC filter.
We recommend figuring out your HVAC filter schedule and setting an alarm on your mobile phone. Or do it the old-fashioned way and mark your calendar! Either way, it’s well worth the effort.